LDCOP Educational Resources
The AST Living Donor Community of Practice (LDCOP) is committed to providing quality educational resources for both professionals and patients. Listed below are a collection of links to toolkits, webinars, and other educational resources that have been produced by, or are supported by, the LDCOP.
If you are interested in continuing the conversation on topics of interest to the living donor community, or are interested in suggesting a topic that should be addressed, please visit the LDCOP Hub and contribute to the discussion. The LDCOP Hub also provides members access to the collective wisdom of our group through the LDCOP Discussion Board. All current and past discussions are archived on the site and available to LDCOP members.
LDCOP EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE CATEGORIES:
1. THE LIVING DONOR TOOLKITS:
The AST's Living Donor Community of Practice (LDCOP), with the support of eleven other organizations, convened a Best Practices in Living Donation Consensus Conference in 2014, composed of a diverse group of transplant professionals, people with ESRD, and living donors. A high priority recommendation stemming from this meeting—achieving consensus amongst participants—was the creation of a set of centralized, neutral, high-quality live donor educational toolkits for those considering live donation.
The Living Donor Toolkit website was designed for those individuals who are considering living donation, and provides information on living donation from a financial and medical perspective with generous support by Novartis. To ensure the toolkits serve as many people as possible, all sections have been translated into Spanish.
Corresponding chapters for clinicians can be found in the toolkit website link above, or on the AST website via the following link.
2. EDUCATIONAL WEBINARS:
In 2016-2017, the LDCOP contributed material to a 4-part AST Educational Webinar Series titled "Optimizing Your Living Kidney Donor Program". This educational series is targeted towards all members of the Living Donor Kidney Transplant team and Administrators to operationalize and optimize best practice recommendations from the Consensus Conference specific to transplant programs.
- Optimizing Your Living Kidney Donor Program (2016-2017)
In 2015, LDCOP contributed to a nine-part AST Educational Webinar series targeted to Independent Living Donor Advocates (ILDAs) and transplant managers. Many transplant professionals will find this information valuable given the documented differences in practice, confusion about regulatory requirements, and dearth of available training materials.
The LDCOP has also suggested and presented material for AST's Timely Topics in Transplantation (T3) webinar series. T3 webinars are the perfect opportunity to listen to a live presentation on a current issue and ask questions directly to the presenter. All webinars are available on demand after the live air date.
- What Makes for a Good Living Donor Program (February 2016)
- A discussion of risk in living kidney donors (April 2014)
3. AST/AJT JOURNAL CLUBS:
The AST/AJT Journal Club provides a forum for open discussion of relevant papers and encourages interaction among AST members and non-members alike. Articles are featured from the American Journal of Transplantation, with occasional journal clubs exploring a paper from another specialty journal. Each journal club is hosted by one of AST's Communities of Practice. Follow the link to find journal clubs hosted by LDCOP.
4. LDCOP WORKGROUPS:
The LDCOP's maintains a number of ongoing workgroups to tackle projects and initiatives that are important to LDCOP membership and the greater live donor transplant community. (Updated May 2022)
- Finances Workgroup: To help provide guidance regarding how living donor care should be billed. (Chair: Andrea Tietjen)
- Mental Health Workgroup: To expand our focus on mental well-being and provide necessary support not only before but even after donation. (Chairs: Mona Doshi and AnnMarie Liapakis)
- Telemedicine Workgroup: To advance the practice of telemedicine in the care of living donors. (Chair: Fawaz Al Ammary)
- Education/Communication Workgroup: To grow the LDCOP membership and enhance the engagement, participation and visibility of LDCOP members along with serving the educational needs of the membership. (Chair: Angie Nishio-Lucar)
- Living Liver Donor Toolkit Workgroup: To update the AST Live Donor Toolkit to include liver donors. (Chairs: Benjamin Samstein and Dianne LaPointe Rudow)
- Public Policy Workgroup: To review and respond to regular UNOS public comment requests on behalf of LDCOP and to explore policy topics related to living donation. (Chairs: Abhishek Kumar and Gaurav Agarwal)
- KPD Workgroup: To advance and promote education and research about Kidney Paired Donation. (Chairs: Didier Mandelbrot and Peter Reese)
- Multimedia Workgroup: To serve the educational needs of the LDCOP through engaging multimedia projects. (Chair: Gaurav Agarwal)